God is Like a Father:
1. A father gives his children life, God gives his children life spiritually (James 1:18, 1 Peter 1:3).
2. A father provides for an nourishes his children, God brings his children up with care and tenderness like a father (Isaiah 1:2, 1 Peter 2:2).
3. A father longs for and has compassion on his children, he wants to protect them, likewise God cares for and is compassionate with his children (John 3:16, Psalm 103:13).
4. A father protects his children from the harm that might be caused by enemies, God protects us from Satan and Demons (Ephesians 6:12, Psalm 94:22).
5. A father provides food for his children, just as God offers His people spiritual food (Psalm 23:1-2, Psalm 132:15).
6. A father is an example for his children and a blueprint for them to follow, Christ presents God as a holy example to follow and mimic (Matthew 5:48, also Colossians 1:11).
7. A father trains and educates his children, God is a diligent and patient teacher of his people (Luke 12:49, Ephesians 4:11, Psalm 25:4).
8. A father hears the requests of his children and is prudent in how he grants them, giving them what they need. God is the same, granting what we need for growth and maturity and denying what will cause us harm (Luke 6:40, James 1:5-6).
9. A father is hurt and sorrowful when his children rebel and prove wicked, he uses all his means to reclaim them. Likewise, it hurts and grieves God when his children stray and he will do whatever it takes to restore them (Isaiah 1:2, Jeremiah 3:7, Matthew 23:37, Romans 15:5).
10. A father punishes his children when necessary and for their good, he is ready with open arms when they repent. God punishes us for our own sake and is quick to forgive (Hebrews 12:10, Isaiah 63:9).
11. A father lays up an inheritance for his children, God the father lays up all things good, a rich inheritance, for his children (Psalm 31:19, 2 Timothy 4:8).
God a Better Father:
1. Even the best earthly father is still a sinful man, some are much worse. God is not a man and is Holy, he only does what is good and right to His children (Jeremiah 31:3).
2. An earthly father cannot compare in stature or glory to God.
3. An earthly father does not know the heart of his children, or their deepest needs. God does (Philippians 4:19).
4. An earthly parent cannot change the heart or nature of a child, God can (Ezekiel 36:26).
5. The best of father’s are not perfect examples, God is a perfect moral example to follow.
1. Being a child of God is the highest blessing and the greatest good we can receive. He are not merely forgiven, but adopted.
2. We should be encouraged against doubts, trials and troubles because we know the great inheritance we will shortly receive.
3. The fatherless should be comforted because they have a father in God.
4. Christians should strive, out of love, to live up to their pedigree.
5. Christians should be cautious of rebellion and disobedience because God will punish them to bring them to repentance.